Sunday, May 24, 2009

Two Taiwanese Fruits

Taiwan has exposed me to a variety of fruits that I've never seen anywhere else. Some, like Durian, I never care to eat again. In case you choose to not follow that link, let me include a paragraph that sums it up pretty well:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia."

I personally think it should be banned from the world, but whatever.

And then we have the glorious Litchi of which I just can't get enough. I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources, but it says Litchi can be found in California, Hawaii and Florida. How come I've never seen it? Any Americans out there seen fresh litchi in their local grocery store? Cause if you have, then I'm moving in with you...this stuff's delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Theme parks are some of the greatest! I remember my first experience was at 6 flags. You'd think lagoon would be my first theme park experience but it wasn't. When the fam went to California for Kaylee's senior trip we went to 6 flags. I'm not gonna lie i was so scared to go on a coaster that I had to go on a baby rollercoaster. Kaylee joined me because she was scared too. This thing was equivalent to the dragon at the fair or maybe its a snake, so its definantly weak sauce. Anyways, I finally got the balls to go on a big kid rollercoaster and it was a riot and i went on every single one after that. I just realized that i'm comenting on the wrong one. haha.
    I love fruit! Especially when it smells like a big chunk of poopy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny that you said, "In case you choose to not follow that link, let me include a paragraph that sums it up pretty well." It's funny cuz I chose not to follow it! Lol. And that's soh fyne cuz your description was amazing. I ate a real weird fruit the other day. It was called a blackberry. It I liked it a lot. I want to try more exotic fruits such as the pomegranite and of course the litchi. Until then, ta ta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also chose not to follow the link. I've had the Litchi in Chile. A Chinese family gave us some but it was canned, I've never had it fresh. I think you can buy it here canned, but I'll have to get back to you on that--after I make a trip to the "ethnic aisle" in my local Smiths. Maybe you should still some seeds and plant a tree here in the good ole U.S. of A.

    ReplyDelete