Sunday, May 3, 2009

Feeding Ray


Remember how Ray was so so so so so so hun hun hun hun hungry? So hungry, in fact, that he ate my arm fur? Well, we finally fed Ray some real food at the:

Ray's Mom wanted to tell me thank you for donating parts of my body to Ray's diet, so we went out for a nice dinner. Who would've thought I'd be eating German food and drinking Malzbier in Taiwan? German music sparkled in the background throughout the evening and as we left, the waitress told us "Dankeschoen." I always feel so strange when my mission life is resurrected in obscure restaurants in Taiwan. It happens more than you'd think. Like, once.

This one's for my shrimp-loving mother and grandmother. Yumm

By Taiwan standards, this restaurant was extremely expensive and classy. My meal cost about fifteen U.S. bones. Contrast that with my last night's meal of delicious bean noodles, veggies, and meat that cost me less than one dollar and you get some idea of just how elegant this place was attempting to be. That's why the bendy plastic straws surprised me. They actually made a valid effort to classify (as in, add class to...sorry, but I have no concept of speaking good English anymore after spending all day with persons who have no clue what English is) them, though. They were tied into various shapes and knots as they floated in our sparkling fruit tea desserts. Ray hooked everyone's together and tried drinking from this gigantic thing. What a funny guy! Weren't/aren't bendy straws such a great blessing?

2 comments:

  1. Okay, This has to be the funniest thing that I've ever seen! I cannot believe that you actually got the opportunity to see this kid eat something other than your arm hairs!! That is very cool that they took you to dinner. It sounds like the people there just dig you! Understandable!! ;) Those shrimp are gigantic! What are those nasty looking black snakes that the shrimp are resting on? Noodles?
    That IS crazy that you went to a German place in Taiwan. Who would have thought? Not I, that's for sure! I'm glad you got to hear a little guten nacht(only german phrase I know other than sheissa)music! Que romantica!
    Bendy straws ARE a wonderful thing. I thought it was kind of weird the other night when Beau was drinking from a bendy straw! It's been a while since I've seen one. And I don't know as if I've ever seen one in a 5 star resteraunt! HA! Taiwan is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so happy that you finnally found Ray-dawg some food! A Wienerhouse of all places. I didn't know that Germans ate worms with their shrimp. What a wierd concept. The bendy straw, on the other hand, is completely normal to find at a fancy restaurant. Aren't they dazzling?
    Also, I'm digging the pink shorts/pants. I'm wearing green ones as I type. You know what they say...Taywan will touch your heart. Or is it birds of a feather flock together?

    ReplyDelete