Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fertility Rate?

The reason most Taiwanese keep their families to one or two children:



One of the most common phrases I hear is, "but that's too dangerous." I've been told this on multiple occasions, ranging from the mundane, 'kids can't stand on a chair to erase the board because it's too dangerous,' to the slightly and I do mean slightly more believable, 'you can't go hiking because it's too dangerous.' Oh, the best one was being told that balloon volleyball wasn't kosher because of the dangers involved. How many people were seriously injured last year while playing? Maybe more people die from it than I'm aware. It's fascinating to me that in a country that is perpetually petrified of everything (people were in a frenzy because stores ran out of face masks when swine flu broke out), they would throw this many kids on a scooter without helmets. Contradictions have always intrigued me.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Awesome photo! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keegeek stole the words right out of my mouth. All I could do was giggle! HAHA! More people get killed by deer than by sharks every year. So when my friend Libbee got mounted by one,(a deer not a shark-btw this is a true story) it was probably and truly "too dangerous." LOL!

    ReplyDelete