Sunday, May 24, 2009

Theme Park Thrills




Has anyone noticed my unnecessarily heavy use of alliterations in my blog titles? Anywho, Yamay theme park is comparable to Lagoon in size and thrill level of the rides. The reflections of the extremely conservative culture were apparent at this park. For example, the line for the off-track roller-coaster pictured below was completely non-existent. Jaimie and I were asked to wait for other people to join us so that they didn't have to make the uneconomical move and allow the coaster to run its course empty. I admit, the ride from the front was quite thrilling as we came to the edge of the track. It seemed as though the coaster would just continue and plunge 300 feet into the ground below. Then, the track slowly rotated to attach itself to the rest of the coaster and the ride unexpectedly began.



Example number two: The wave pool at the water park required patrons to wear life jackets if they went past a certain depth...a rule that was very strictly enforced (the water wasn't even up to my nipples). The waves were also quite puny, but maybe my memory of wave pools past is obscured by the fact that I was merely a boy and everything seemed big back then. I'll stop here with number three: The water park had an area where we could try our hand at body surfing. Perhaps this is standard procedure everywhere, but it intrigued me that we were equipped with helmets, gloves and protective footwear before we were allowed to participate.

By no means does this mean that we didn't laugh ourselves silly and have a great time celebrating Jaimie's birthday. Do you ever wonder if you have different personalities that fit different situations? Maybe the emotions I experienced on this day were just side affects of an adrenaline overdose, but I felt like my body and mind underwent some sort of magical modification the second I stepped foot in that park. As I reflect, I'm quite certain that it happens every time I enter a theme park. The only drawbacks I ever have are: waiting in long lines and expensive food that tastes like a cat covered in sawdust. Neither of these were even a question as we visited the park on an idle Tuesday. The park was like a ghost town and I bought a chicken curry dish for six Washingtons that made my taste buds sing the Hallelujah chorus! It was such an awesome day!

3 comments:

  1. Dane, I've been meaning to tell you this for a very long time...your star shorts tickle my fancy. I love them so very much. Now onto less pressing matters. Tawaneese people are rather hillarious! I was lol'ing about how grandma they are. I bet they power walk around with orthopedic shoes, fanny packs, and 8 track player headphones coming out their ears. But truly, the safety measures are real funny.
    Golly, I love theme parks! The fair is even more fun than them though! lol not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have something to say. What about that girl in the picture at the bottom of your blog of the Tawainese girlfriends. She is hold a tiger or something. What is she doing with that thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops I put mispelled taiwanese...too fat to spell at 5:45 am.

    ReplyDelete