Sunday, May 10, 2009

Oh, The Oyster Harvest






Have you ever harvested oysters? Apparently, it's an extremely popular activity at Gao Mei wetlands. I was fascinated by the various techniques people were using to gather the tasty treat. I wandered from person to person chatting with them about what they were doing, how many oysters they had and secretly hoped that one of them would invite me to join in the fun. A betel nut chewing buddy extended the long awaited invitation and put me to work. Within a span of 2 minutes I had gathered up a half dozen oysters and was feeling pretty perky. So, I decided to celebrate with some squid on a stick.

3 comments:

  1. Oysters! I love oysters! And what better way to celebrate than squid on a stick? Did you find any pearls?

    I like the yoga pose! I'm doing heated yoga again. There is always a spot saved for you, but no talking or laughing in class. That's the hardest part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! My favorite thing about this post is the betel nut link... Yes, I did click on it and it took me to wikapedia. I read all about it! Very interesting... Have you chewed on the nuts? And does it truly give you energy?
    It looks like you had a great time! What a cool thing to see! BUT...celebrating with squid? UGH!! Squid es muy nasty!! But if you rike, okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time eating oysters; my tongue is really big. That's a line from White Chicks-one of the funniest movies ever made. Oysters are in the animal phyla Mollusca. Their shells are bivalved, meaning they have two parts. Squids are also Molluks-their shells are internal. Wasn't that some sweet info? And here's the kicker- I didn't even use wikipedia. I learned it all in AP Biology.
    Dane, I just thought of something amazing, you should try to eat something from every animal phylum! You'll have to eat a sea sponge, jellyfish, tapeworm, earthworm, and a sea urchin. I figure you've already the other half of them(like vertabrates and insects)...quite impressive my friend, quite impressive. I'm going to stop now cuz I'm starting to sound like a real taxonomy-obsessed nerd!

    ReplyDelete