Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yuanzuei Mountain

We (Gloria, Megan, Joseph, Derrick and I) took a trip on Saturday to Yuanzuei Mountain to go on a hike. I use the term hike very loosely here. Megan is still not completely mobile and it's Wednesday. It felt like we did more scrambling up sheer rock faces than we did hiking, which was completely ok with me. We manly men made it a goal to use the ropes as little as possible. This definitely got my adrenaline pumping at times as this mountain is reminiscent of the top of Angel's Landing with no more than 10 to 15 feet of footing and humongous cliffs on either side.



The forest we hiked through on our way down was spectacular! It was difficult to capture the splendor on camera, but this one does a fairly good job of it.

It felt wonderful to truly be out in nature. As far as we could see (which wasn't entirely far because the mountain was pretty socked in with fog) nature stretched out before us. It was a great exercise in imagination. We could see the cliff face descending sharply before our feet, but couldn't really see the bottom of the cliff, so we just imagined what the view would be like if we could see. The fog did lift enough a few times, though so we could catch the grandeur of the area. The density of the trees and the abundance of green gave me the impression that I was on the Oregon coast again. The whole trip was refreshing.

3 comments:

  1. WOW Dane!! That's absolutely beautiful! What a cool experience. Those trees are insane! They're all twisty and crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite the mountain goat, aren'tchya silly! It would be very nice to go commune with nature more often. I'm sick of this big city life that I'm living. Just today I passed una chica coming to school. She didn't appreciate it, not for one second. She showed her distain of me with a big birdie finger flashed in my direction. True story. It was well deserved though. Well, I'm glad you got to get a break from the polluted air and crowded streets to play in the jungle- one that looks just like Tarzan's even. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Master Dane, that forested rock region looks sick. I'm tempted to temporarily leave the splendor of southern utah and join you in adventuring!

    ReplyDelete