Thursday, March 26, 2009

Basic Reading Babies



These babies are all around 7 or 8 years old. Much of their communication, when it moves beyond the basic realms of bodily functions and the body parts that perform those functions, consists of gesticulations and grunts. The entertainment is endless as I listen to their unbelievable abilities to make sounds I've never even heard. Their struggles to communicate have some wonderful positive externalities, however. Were you to spend more than five seconds with these kids you would certainly recognize, for instance, that they've all developed a keen ability for sketching what it is they are trying to say and I'm quite certain that given the opportunity, one of these kids would become a world champion beat-boxer. So, if you're looking to get your rear end handed to you in a game of Pictionary or Charades, or if you sense some insatiable urge to feel completely misunderstood, just come visit this class and all your wildest dreams will come true.


Ray has been blessed with overactive olfactories...at least that's my explanation as to why he is constantly sniffing my arms and neck. He honestly reminds me of a little puppy. Contrary to my ape-like genetics, Taiwanese people are rarely found with any body hair. Ray's fascination with my hair is hilarious. He will often contently stroke my arm hair as if I were his pet rabbit for our entire 10-minute break time. Once he surprised me by asking, "Can I eat your fur?" I thought, "What's the harm in him eating something I don't have?" I obliged and regretted it five seconds later when suddenly I was now short a mouthful of arm hair. Moral of the story: never say yes to anything a child asks you to do.



The one gazing deceitfully at the camera is Jasper. He is half Koala, half human. Whenever I come into class, he tightly clings to my legs as if the floor he is standing on were infested by flesh-eating piranhas. To the right is Jellen. He falls asleep a lot in class. He is the object of my envy.

3 comments:

  1. You don't know me but I taught your class class last spring. Say hi to all the little kiddies from Mr. Adams would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so so so so so so so in love with that video! I love the kid in the background saying I'm so so so so so so.... hungry the whole entire time! They are so cute! It has to be frusturating, but I guarantee once you come back to America for a while you will begin to miss those little sh**s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kids are so so so so so so so hungry, I mean precious. Maybe you should freakin' feed Ray so he doesn't have to resort to nibbling on your arm fur. I think he has a hair in his teeth in that pic. Ya know, Jasper even looks like a koala. Maybe his mamma is one.
    So what's with that pirate kid. If he has one eye than I'm very sorry for even bringing it up. Those cards look like quite the pass time. I once had an obsession with some sort of cards. Basketball ones. Okay, let's get real, they were pokemon but they'll be worth something someday. Hehe. Grunt, gribble, zzz. (That's Chinese Basic Reading for L8R silly goosey)

    ReplyDelete