Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Little Lori


Happy Easter! Doesn't she look thrilled? I would love to post a picture of Lori smiling, but most of her time at Berhan is spent sobbing and crying out in Chinese, "I want my mom!" You see, Lori is only 2.5 years old, so her desire to be with mommy is completely natural. There exists an interesting contradiction in Taiwanese culture concerning this situation. It is very common for Taiwanese children to sleep in the same room as their parents until they are 8 or 9 years old, but they send them off to school as soon as they turn 2. Hmmm? I guess they just need to prepare them for the days ahead where they'll spend their every waking hour in school (my writing students go from 7:30 A.M. to 9:00 P.M).

I'm anxiously awaiting the day Lori actually says something in English. I'm going to try to make her say something along the lines of, "Yes, Mr. Danger, you are the most ridiculous excuse for an ABC* I've ever seen."

*American-born Chinese (some days I feel like this is true...like I'm an egg...white on the outside and yellow on the inside and then there are those days where I feel as white as rice)

2 comments:

  1. What...a bunny hat! She looks just like a parrot fish/rabbit.
    Being in school for over six hours can't be good for a person. Even now, ten minutes into school, I'm ready to go home.
    Dane, I really think you are an ABC. You slept in between your mother and father until you were twelve! You were weaned off the milk a little earlier than that. Thank Heavens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA oh my goodness, Wade just kills me! Poor little Lori just wants her mamma! That is heartbreaking! It's so different there! Parents in America hold their childrens hands during preschool! While many Asian children are living away from their parents by age 4! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete