Sunday, February 22, 2009

Karaoke Crush















KTV. Its an acronym that stands for Komplete Total Vantastic (at least that's what it means to me now after our Friday night extravaganza). I actually have no idea what KTV stands for, but its karaoke at its finest. We paid about 7 bucks to have all you can eat yummy Asian food and all you can sing songs for 3 hours! A screamin' deal if you ask me, which you didn't but I'll tell you anyway...it was a screamin' deal. Consequently I have had many bizarre songs in my head the last two days. I desperately long to dislodge many of them from my brain, but some of them won't leave. Here are the songs (not in order of appearance in my mind): 1. Can't fight the Moonlight...Probably one of my least favorite songs of the night, but every time I wake up I find myself standing on top of my bed holding my alarm clock as a microphone and shouting, "Its a magical feeling, so right, it will steal your heart tonight!" Leann Rimes never sounded worse. 2. Daydream Believer...This is a pleasant one and I plan on singing it to my students who inevitably fall asleep every single time we try to read in class..."Wake up sleepy Jean!" 3. Fergalicious (chief I thought of you on this one) Doing karaoke during the rapping sections of this song made me feel so gangster and a little scandolous as I sang about putting boys on 'rock, rock.' 4. Obladi, Oblada by the Beatles. I think I will make this my mantra for teaching from now on. 5. Can You Feel the Love Tonight...This one reminded me of my first real crush from 6th grade. Her name was Ulelia Gonzalez. The serendipitous nature of our relationship had us placed directly across from each other during choir class as we rehearsed this song. I remember staring at her the whole time I was singing my heart out. It was always awkward when we made eye contact, though. I love how songs can bring back so many memories and create completely new ones. Tonight for example, we were all jamming out on guitars, singing Blind Melon's 'No Rain.' It was magical. What's your favorite Karaoke song?


6 comments:

  1. Are the lyrics "Wake up sleepy Jean" or "cheer up sleepy Jean." It's not really important except that I always say cheer up and boy will my face be red if I'm wrong...

    I'm peeing! I bet you are the most fun that Taiwan has ever had! I especially like that you used your alarm clock as a microphone because just yesterday I was using my stethoscope as a microphone and everyone was making fun of me. What can I say, sometimes you just have to sing.

    Once on the first week of my mission I found myself at the Indonesian embassy around 10:30pm and my companion and I were entertaining the internationals with a little "I'm every woman." It was quite the little Karaoke number.

    Keep on the Sunny Side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite kareoke song is definantly Amish paradise by weird al. That was a joke so you better be laughing. No i really like fergalicious its so delicious and i think people want a taste of what i got. If you know what i mean. I really like that blind melon omggizzlee its just great. If i honestly and truely had to chose one song i had to kareoke to it would have to be love me dead by ludo. I know i'm sure you've never heard of it, but its an instant classic genius genius genius. I don't know if anyone told you this tragic news but moonbeam got hit by a car(my baby kitty, for those of you who don't know). Sadly she didn't die, i mean luckily she didn't die or else i would still be crying rite now. Hugs not drugs! Love you mucho

    ReplyDelete
  3. What...a philosophical question. Naturally, I'm referring to the one about my fav Carry-O-Key(Get it? like carry a note/key of a song. That's where the name originated from. You caught me, I'm lieing I just didn't want to figure out how to spell it. Wow, is it conventionally incorrect to have five sentences in parenthesis like this?)song. Just because I'm border-line popstar when I sing it, I'd have to say the best karyoke song is...drumroll please..."I Need a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler. She's an American tresure that Bonnie. A few honorable mentions..."Life After Love"-Cher, "Spoon full of Sugar"-Julie Andrews, "Harry Potter Theme Song"-London Orchestra, and Heath Ledger in Batman: The Dark Knight. Basically, I'm being a smart A-word at the moment. For reals I love "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco and Matt Samos,"No Handlebars" by Flobots, and "Oops I did it again" by Big bad Britnay Spears. Those seem like some pretty tight singing Jamz.
    Those songs that are stuck in your head kinda suck huh. hehe. All but Fergie-ferg. If you are suspicious, all that **** is ficticious...I blow kisses. That happens to be my mantra for the daily(trying to quote fergie again...as in "I do it on the daily"). I'm so very pappy that you had a out of this world delicious time singing your heart out!
    Loved the Ulelia Gonzalez story! Singing is awkward...that's the bottom line. It's one of the few things that I still get embarrassed about. That and falling on my arse on the ice. :) I hear Tiewan has no snow/ice. Lucky! Just please stay away from walk in freezers-for your own saftey and pride. I love you and guten knocked(jelous all you non-German speakers?)-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Dane! It has been awhile but yes I have been an avid reader of the Dane blog! it looks like you are having a great time! I can't believe the things you are trying- nasty things... So I need to send you something!! Yup I think you have my email so just hit me up that way :) miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the fun times of karaoke! I love to watch karaoke, but actually singing it is a different story! I've participated only a couple of times....the songs that I have sung are....."I like big butts" I'm not sure who sings it. Garth Brooks "I've got friends in low places" is a classic karaoke song! And last but not least "I don't want anybody else, when I think about you, I touch myself" (just so you know, i'll never sing this one ever again!)

    Talauna loves karaoke! We should all go when you get home.....probably won't be as entertaining as karaoke in Taiwan! Love your karaoke loving face!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dane! You are so great! I think everyone in that Karaoke parlor had a crush on you! I am so glad you went karaoke-ing. I think that is a must in Asia. Man oh man, I would love to hear/see those Taiwanese singing fergalicious! I couldn't pick a more funny song to hear them sing! It is absolutely perfect!! The song I would want to sing the most would probably be the song from Molin Rouge--The "love is a many splendid thing..." song! I love to bust that one out.. Wayne would love to be my partner, I'm sure, because we always sing it together. He sings the boy part and I sing the girl! It fantastic! Okay Dane, dei dei, I love you a lot! Keep up with the karaoke mmmmK?!
    Brad misses you! He is standing by me at this very moment!

    ReplyDelete