Sunday, February 15, 2009

Friends of FengYuan

This is part of my Taiwanese family, Lillian on my right and Hu ma ma (that's what I call her---Hu is her last name). Lillian is going to Austria in a few days and I've been teaching her German as she teaches me Chinese. Once she leaves, her dad, Thomas and I will continue the language exchange...minus the German...in other words, I'll be teaching him English. We biked 18 miles (a ways for me) on this day and had a nice lunch. They've been extremely kind to me and have helped a lot with the transition to life here. It is also with them that I first tried pigs' ear.* Guten Appetit!

This is Vivian. She also celebrated the Lantern Festival with us. We ate oyster omelets together this week and she beat me at arcade basketball. Man, that ticked me off! I scored over three hundred points. My performance was Jordan-esque, or so I thought. Does anyone remember when Dennis Rodman played for the Bulls, by the way? I had a laughing attack a while back while thinking about 'the Worm.' Last I heard, he married himself shortly after kicking a camera man in the crotch. Just a side note. We also played the Asian version of Guitar Hero. They had these huge traditional drums that we banged on to drumming music. It was a blast and of course---she whooped on me there, too.


(From left to right) Holly, Derrick, me, Molly, and Jaimie...friends and fellow teachers. We celebrated the lantern festival by lighting candles, putting them in the lanterns, walking to a park, and burning the lanterns. Sometimes lanterns are released into the air with wishes written on them in hopes that the gods will read them and grant the wishes. What did I wish for? Greater arcade abilities, of course.





I thought it was interesting that this huge Christian church was in the middle of a college campus. I think I remember my friend saying it was over 100 years old...maybe.

This one's for all y'all back at the farm. My friend showed me the university dairy. I think they had about 50 cows or so. Happy cows come from California? Yeah right! Happy cows come from Taiwan (and the Hess Dairy). Most of their dairy products are shipped from New Zealand, actually, which makes them relatively expensive and so, although I will probably be nixed from the will for admitting this, I decided to try soy milk...and I liked it...sorry Dad...I still love you!

*I also tried pig intestines last night for the first time and they tasted like bacon.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Lantern Festival? Kinda sounds similar to our barbie burning tradition on New Years! I love it! Also, in the latern festival picture it looks like you have normal clothes on...do you? The outfit looks a little too bland for your taste......are you feeling ok? :) Sounds like you need to brush up on your arcade skills!! On that note...I love that you got beat by a girl! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess who has some juicy information? Me! It's on Dennis Rodwoman. He is, in fact, going to be a contestent on The Celebrity Apprentice. What.....a celebrity. Hopefully somebody tells the Donald to wear a cup when he fires the poor guy!
    I'm glad that you've made some BFFEAE(best friends for ever and ever). Don't feel bad that one of them kicked your arcadin' trash though. According to my friend Noelle, who is half Japanese, Asians are amazingly good at video juegos. But in all reality, I could school her any day. So maybe it's just a stupid stereotype. Also me thinks it's cool that you're teaching Lil and Tom such lovely Germanic languages. Next step, igpay atinlay.
    Is it safe to assume that at the latern festival you chanted Gregorian-like? I picture you all wearing ankle-length robes humming softly. Clearly that's not the case, because as Shevon pointed out, you're in normal clothes. Shevon probably didn't see that lovely frock you have on. It's moste unusuale. Exquisite nonetheless.
    That church looks off the hook! That's quite a building for being a 10 decades old! As usual, I zoomed in to look at the detail. The person directly behind you has a pretty cool yellow sweater thing on. Hayden and I got into a heated debate as to whether that person is male or female. I vote male. Maybe it's best to that I never know.
    Oh, the cow. Isn't it great? Cows don't come from the Hess dairy anymore. We raise goats. Tis true. At the Coomb's place, there is a goat that runs around with all the cows. Dad thinks that it's the cows' leader. I think it's their punching bag. Hayden affectionately named the goat Goatie. What.....a clever name. The Hose-A family will be eating it for a celebration...or so they think. Me being a vegetarian, in turn becoming an active member of PETA, I plan on releasing the goat into the wild. And it has long hair so it won't die of exposure!
    Your cuisine experiences never cease to suprise me. Intestines carry poop, and ears have wax, and you ate them. The soy milk seems to be a little more safe. It carries nutrients.
    Best of Luck! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They Christians in Taiwan? Well we don't in Utah. Only Mormons.

    I think that it's wise to stick with the soy milk. You remember all those people that died in China from having melamine put in their milk? I don't know if they do that in Taiwan, but better safe than sorry. Also, better dead than red. Red as in communist that is.

    I do remember that we were always trying to go cross country skiing together. Better luck next year. Maybe we'll have another Christmas party with yoga, skiing and shooting. So, pretty much the same as last year's only you can speak Chinese around the campfire. Nothing says Christmas like Chinese and Hot Chocolate...

    ReplyDelete