Sunday, December 21, 2008


I attended work training this weekend and aside from the fact that I needed 2.5 hours to drive from SLC to Provo due to the storm, I really enjoyed myself. The English language program I will be teaching disallows any type of communication in the children's native tongue, so we simulated Taiwan experiences by feigning ignorance of English and allowing immersion teaching to take place. We then watched some videos of other teachers in action. The methodology is thrilling to me and I can't wait to start teaching the kids.

A portion of our training was dedicated to Taiwanese Cultural Quirks. I am excited to see how many cultural norms I unknowingly disobey. Following are a few I was made aware of: 1. Do not be alarmed by the multitude of extra long pinky fingernails. The men grow them out as a symbol of honor to their families. Funny, cause most people I know here in the states grow them out to facilitate their snorting and picking habits. 2. The longer one lets his/her mole hair grow, the more luck will come to that person's life. I wonder what they think of other body hair, because if quantity also lends itself to luckiness, then I am definitely one of the luckiest people alive. 3. Taiwanese people don't say they love each other like Americans do. A wife could go her whole life without her husband telling her he loves her. Largely influenced by Confucianism, they feel they show their love for each other through their actions. Interestingly, my family would fit in well there. Rarely are the words, "I love you" audibly heard, but they are definitely felt through kind deeds. Which means more? Would your opinion of me change much if I came home with extra long pinky nails?

3 comments:

  1. Dane I love the picture!! Every single time I took a picture with someone in China they felt the need to throw up the peace sign. It's hilarious! ps. I would love it if you came home with a super long pinky nail. I wouldn't be suprised at all! It's totally something you would do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dane, you might not remember me, especially since you have only ever referred to me as Jodi. (Maybe this will jog your memory...imagine a beautifully acted out Coal Miners Daughter in your living room, complete with pet bear named Curtis-E-Bear. I bet you are remembering now). I just wanted you to know that Hanna has officially made it to Taiwan so if she can do it so can you! Also, she has set up a blog at hannapostma.blogspot.com and the name is "Made in Taiwan," and not that it's a competition or anything but the name of her blog is slightly more clever. Good Luck in Taiwan, you teach those children because I believe the children are the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I totally thought that that text you sent me was a dream because I was already asleep! Good luck sushi.

    ReplyDelete