Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Eastern healing...mmmm


My grandma has a massage therapist that travels occasionally to her home to give her a rub. He comes all the way from St. George, so to make it worth his time, she tries to schedule as many clients for him as possible. Well, Grandma decided to give me a call and how could I say no? This is the lady cooking me fried shrimp, sweet and sour pork, chow mein, and fried rice for Christmas dinner for crying out loud!

I have had massages before, but not the type that Leroy was offering. He is a massage therapist/chiropractor, which basically means he warms the muscles up really well through massage and then snaps clients' spines back into their proper places. I was thrilled with the prospect of being plagued less by my stiff neck and boy did he snap it back where it should be! I think the best part was when he put this menthol rub all over my back. It smelled heavenly! I am not planning on showering for quite a while, because I want this smell to linger as long as possible.

Leroy is extremely passionate about natural healing and it was refreshing talking with him about how holistic eastern medicine really is. I have been a yogi (a practicer of yoga) for quite some time now, but he encouraged me to look more into tai chi. He lauded it as a great form of exercise, stretching and also as a great spiritual boost. As a martial art it is concerned with the study of appropriate change in response to outside forces; the study of yielding or 'sticking' to an oncoming attack rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force. Maybe we should have a worldwide tai chi day...right after we kill all the drug lords...who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dane!! I'm so very glad that you got a massage. I agree with you that the yummy mint infused smell is just great. Remember, Confucius say...get massage every day. Bie! Love, Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad you finally got a massage from someone who didn't try to feel you up and wasn't scared of your strange noises! Let's kil the drug lords and use there bodies for medical experiments!

    ReplyDelete